Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Stairs

Every Monday, the cross country team travels to Highbanks. Highbanks is a park filled with paths to walk through the tree covered, woods. Although Highbanks is typically a very peaceful place to be, I dread going there every week. While the team is at Highbank, we run six miles through the hilly course. Some people run eight or four miles, depending on their training. I am one of the people that has to run six miles. The first time we ran at this park was also the first time I would run six miles without stopping. Needless to say, I was a little nervous. As we started running, it was not as bad as I thought it would be. There were very large hills, and plenty of them, but I knew this would only help me later on in the season. However, as we turned the corner to face the BFH, big freaking hill, I could feel my body preparing itself to double over. It was as if the hill was never ending! As I finally reached the top, my legs were cement boulders. It was a workout to even move them a step forward. With all the pain and exhaustion I was experiencing, I knew I stil had to go on. I continued through the gravel path, the winding turns, and steep inclines and declines till I finally reached the stairs. This was the most enormous set of stairs I had ever seen. I began sprinting up the stairs, taking two at a time. As I reached the top, the feeling of happiness encompassed me. I had never been so relieved to be done with a workout. "That wasn't that bad", I said to my friend natalie, "I am so glad we are done though." Natalie then said, "Oh no we have another two miles to go." The stairs and I continued to meet every Monday after that.

1 comment: