Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Wives

1. The essay does not have  thesis that is specifically stated, however the thesis statement that is implied is that wives are essential to everyday life.

2. As Brady repeats the words, "I want a wife", the effect of the repition is clear. It makes it obvious that the need or want for a wife is huge. Also that with a wife the stress of everyday life would be minimized.

3. She doesn't refer to a wife as her or she because she doesn't want to give them a human appearance. Brady wants the reader to believe that her writing makes it come off as if a wife isnt a human being but an it or material thing that you can retrieve.

4. No,  I do not believe that Brady wants this kind of wife and I do not believe that this kind of wife exists. The essay is just merely a description of a man's fantisy of a wife, or his utopian idea of a wife.

5. In the essay, Brady describes the wife as doing everything for the man. She organizes the essay starting with the family life, to keeping a man's social life in order, even to his sexual needs. I believe that this characterization of a wife is completely incorrect and somewhat sexist. A wife is never the person who is soley responsible for all the duties in a family. It should be a combined effort between the husband and wife together. With that said, I believe Brady characterized the wife like this to draw attention to how wives should be characterized and treated. She wanted to make it clear that this was not how a wife should go about her life and certainly not how a wife should be treated.

6. Dear Brady,
        After reading your essay, it drew my attention to how wives may be persieved. I certainly admire your blunt statements on what wives ar expected to be like. It almost comes off sarcarstic in a way and I think that it is witty. You made it clear about what men may expect in a wife and there is no need to have to meet at these demands. When you state, "I want a wife who will have the house clean, will prepare a special meal, serve it to me and my friends, and not interrupt when I talk about things that interest me and my friends," I was disturbed. For someone to write this, it is obvious that someone has thought it before. Wives are not slaves to their husband, and with this essay and its clearly stated thoughts, one would have to agree that it is wrong. I admire you for writing this because it draws attention to how wives should be thought of with its satire. Thank you for writing this very interesting piece.
                                                                Sincerely,
                                                                        Megan Neff

No comments:

Post a Comment