Saturday, November 12, 2011

Veteran's Day

Every year, our school has veterans come in to discuss their experiences with the students. Every year there are new stories to listen to and amazing people to talk to. Their experiences are remarkable and the courage they have displayed is eye opening. On Thursday, I had the chance to listen to two World War II veterans, and something they said really touched me. One of the veterans was speaking about the hardships they had to endure and he interrupted his own story and exclaimed, "As hard and difficult as it was, I would do it all again because I was fighting for you. You all are living in a free country because of what we did and I would do it all again for you."
When he said this, I was truly touched. It made me remember that, because of these extrordinary people, we live in an amazing, free country. I believe that America, as a whole, does not give veterans the recognition they deserve. They sacraficed their time and lives for us and we need to remember and embrace them more than just on national holidays such as Veteran's Day. I love being able to listen to their stories, because not only are they sometimes funny, but they remind me of how lucky I am to be living in the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment